An employee of Eden Meat Market and Catering, 115 W. Main St., Eden, was on hand Thursday morning to report a grease fire that damaged the meat market.
According to a press release from the Fond du Lac Sheriff’s Office, the 911 call came in around 9 a.m. Thursday. Deputies from the Fond du Lac County Sheriff’s Office as well as the Eden Fire Department and other fire departments responded. Firefighters were able to put out the blaze before it spread to the store or adjacent buildings, but the meat market suffered extensive fire, smoke and water damage.
An investigation revealed that the fire started in a vent in the butcher’s shop and quickly spread to bacon grease present during morning meat processing. Employees attempted to extinguish the fire but were unsuccessful and had to evacuate the building. Three employees were treated and released from the scene for smoke inhalation. The fire is not suspicious.
People also read…
Eden Meat Market & Catering is a family business founded in the 1890s that has expanded its business across the region over its 130 years in business.
Highway 45 through Eden was closed and traffic was diverted around the village for approximately three hours.
Fire departments in the following communities, along with others who answered the call, include: Campbellsport, Lamartine, Mt. Calvary, North Fond du Lac, Oakfield, St. Cloud, Town of Fond du Lac, City of Fond du Lac, Calumet, Kewaskum, Brownsville, Waupun and Lomira Fire Departments, Campbellsport and Mt. Calvary Ambulance, Eden First Responders, WE Energies and Fond du Lac County Highway Department.
GALLERY: Volksfest returns after two years
Follow Terri Pederson on Twitter @tlp53916 or contact her at 920-356-6760.